Implementing cloud ERP for construction requires commitment and hardwork. Businesses should be careful about this decision and prepare properly.
Before we go to tips on implementing cloud ERP for construction, let us first answer the why. Why should businesses implement a cloud-based ERP?
Like other industries, the construction industry continues to face challenges as the business and technology landscape evolves rapidly. Therefore, construction companies should be more aggressive in finding ways to stay ahead of the curve.
A Cloud ERP system specifically designed for the construction industry helps businesses capitalize on these shifts. Through this, companies can be more flexible in managing core business processes and gain a competitive edge.
Construction businesses may take advantage of real-time tracking of projects, automated workflows, and increased collaboration with a Construction Cloud ERP System. For more benefits, read How a Cloud ERP Empowers Construction Businesses.
To implement ERP software in construction companies, there is a lot to consider. This article will help you get started with the implementation process.
Step-by-Step Guide to Implementing Construction Cloud ERP
Deciding to adopt a Construction Cloud ERP System requires time and effort. Here are some tips to successfully implement a Construction Cloud ERP System.
1. Start a thorough self-assessment of your key business goals and resources
Generally, construction businesses implement a new technology to improve cost management, productivity, operational flexibility, and decision-making. You should be clear about the business goals driving your cloud ERP search.
Assessing your company budget is also vital. Also, having internal IT and business management expertise available inside your construction organization is a must.
The construction industry is one of the most regulated industries in the country. When implementing cloud ERP software, you should also include external regulatory requirements as well as customer, supplier, and partner requirements.
2. Assemble your construction project team
Another vital step is assembling your cloud ERP implementation team. To achieve successful implementation, you need to gather team members from different departments. It is essential to involve every stakeholder and get them in sync with the system.
Each employee represents a specific role. Generally, construction projects comprise the following roles: construction manager, estimator, architect, supervisor, construction expeditor, construction worker, engineer, electrician, and construction foreman.
It is essential to involve your implementation team members in developing your project plan. Every employee representing a specific role provides valuable insight.
3. Define your requirements for your Construction ERP
To successfully define requirements, you must document first your current business processes. The next step is identifying functional gaps in your existing system. It would be best if you have a clear answer to the question:
Acumatica identifies four general areas your cloud ERP requirements may fall:
- Essential: Features that are crucial to be able to operate
- Desirable: Functions that would enhance the system
- Not an immediate need: Functions that are not required now but will be necessary soon
- Nice to have: Non-essential functions that would make work easier
4. Develop your implementation plans
Implementating a cloud ERP system consists of long and dragging processes. It requires technical processes such as developing project plans, data migration plans, test plans, and training plans.
- Project plan: The project plan will keep the project on time and on budget. It will ensure that the requirements are met.
- Data migration plan: It is critical that you define and order the tasks involved in preparing and migrating data from your old system to your new system to ensure that you will not miss anything.
- Test plan: This plan ensures that the new system meets the requirements.
- Training plan: Training your staff fully ensures successful adoption and user satisfaction.
- Go-live plan: Decide which go-live approach you want and start reaping the benefits of a cloud ERP.
5. Select a Cloud ERP System that specifically meets your construction needs
The best way to start is through a thorough internal assessment of the company’s strategy, workloads, performance, and security needs. From there, list down all the features that will cover every aspect of your business, especially the construction project management area.
Construction companies must adopt an ERP solution with comprehensive features specifically designed for their workflows.
Bonus: Construction ERP System Evaluation Guide
Many ERP products offer almost similar features. We understand that it can be confusing to sort out what’s essential and not. This guide can help.
- Productivity: What can the product do to make you and your staff in the office and on the job site more productive?
- Functionality: What features and functions does the product have that can perform your daily accounting and business management functions?
- Technology: Does the product leverage the best technology for usability, customizability, and maintainability?
- Value: How will the product maximize features and functions versus cost for the product’s usable lifetime?
- Risk: How does the product minimize risk and facilitate network and financial security?
Acumatica Cloud ERP is a comprehensive construction business management solution built on a future-proof platform. It provides anytime, anywhere access to your construction data, financials, reporting tools, customizable dashboards, and drag-and-drop automation that will help you meet the financial and operational needs of your construction business.
6. Select the best ERP vendor
Indeed, there is also a growing number of ERP providers worldwide. But how can you really select the best among the rest?
For beginners, here are some suggested must-haves for an ERP provider:
- Offers easy access to clear product and service information
- Has live representatives available to answer your questions
- Supplies transparent pricing information
- Offers realistic demos and trials
- Provides comprehensive and transparent contracts that spell out details such as contract length, terms, service levels, data protection, and security; who owns the business data; and what happens to the data should you terminate the contract
- Provides customer references with similar requirements who can speak with you about their experiences
Working with an experienced ERP partner can help ensure successful ERP implementation. You should carefully vet the ERP vendor competencies, credentials, solution capabilities, and deployment options. Through this, you can narrow your list.
Yondu Inc. is one of the leading IT companies in the Philippines, wholly owned by Globe Telecom. It is a multi-awarded company committed to providing holistic technological experiences that go above and beyond to meet your goals.
With its almost two-decade of rich experience in the IT world, Yondu is proven to take your business to the next level by providing Cloud ERP solutions best tailored for a construction business.
Here’s a helpful resource to learn more about the reasons why you should choose Yondu as your ERP provider: 5 Ways Yondu Empowers Businesses Through a Cloud ERP Solution
Start Reaping the Benefits of a Construction Cloud ERP Today
Implementing a cloud ERP for construction to run your business is a crucial decision that will impact your company for many years. Apparently, it is not an overnight process and will demand commitment and hardwork.
No need to worry. With Yondu, you can skip all these tedious planning as Yondu will take care all of your technical needs. Now that Yondu is an Acumatiica Gold Certified Partner, it is more equipped and committed to empower construction companies.
Yondu, together with Acumatica, is here to guide you through your ERP journey. Let Yondu be your ERP provider in the Philippines and start reaping the benefits of a Construction Cloud ERP firsthand.